Make this your new signature dish.
Dakota Diamond Russet Fennel Gratin
Published: March 23, 2013
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- 2 small fennel bulbs sliced
- 1 yellow onion sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 Large Dakota Diamond Russet Potatoes
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2-1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash paprika
- Butter a 10 x 15 x 2” (10 cup) baking dish. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove stalks from the fennel and cut the bulbs in half lengthwise. Remove the cores and thinly slice bulbs crosswise. (Will yield approximately 4 cups of sliced fennel.)
Sauté the fennel and onions in olive oil and butter on medium-low heat for 15 minutes, until tender.
- Peel potatoes and thinly slice. Mix sliced potatoes in a large bowl with 2 cups of cream,
2 cups of Gruyere, salt and pepper. Add the sautéed fennel and onion and mix well.
- Pour the potatoes into the baking dish. Press down to smooth. Combine remaining
2 tablespoons of cream and ½ cup of Gruyere, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 1½ hours, until the potatoes are tender and the top is browned and bubbly. Allow to set
for 10 minutes before serving.